Leveraging Biosimulation to Inform Optimal Use of COVID-19 Vaccines
As the world struggles to address the vast demand for, and limited supply of, regulatory-approved COVID-19 vaccines, experts are investigating scientific approaches to maximize those precious resources. Biosimulation, which integrates computer-aided modeling and simulation with pharmaceutical science, provides potent intelligence to support decision making on these crucial issues. It can help answer questions like:
- Do elderly people require a higher dose of the COVID-19 vaccine because their immune system becomes less effective with age?
- Might a lower vaccine dose be effective for young people?
- Can the interval between doses be increased to free up vaccine to allow more people to get their first dose earlier?
- Can people receive their first dose of one vaccine and their second dose of a different vaccine?
- How long does a vaccine’s antibody response last? Will a booster shot be required in a year?
- If people have had COVID-19, should they still get a vaccine, and do they need the full dose?
- Are the answers to these questions the same for populations of different ethnicity?
© 2021 SOURCE EXPLORER® All rights reserved